Ian Cranston’s friend Tyler Smith testifies on day three of murder trial

Tuesday was the third day of the murder trial of Ian Cranstonthe man accused of murdering a young man in Downtown Bend last year.

Barry Washington, Jr. was fatally shot outside the Capitol club after a fight in September 2021.

On Tuesday, the first witness to take the stand was Tyler Smith, a close friend of Cranston who was present when the shooting took place.

He testified that he met Cranston while working for Nosler, a gun and ammunition company. It was Smith who invited Cranston and his fiancée Allison Butler to Cross-Eyed Cricket and then to the Capitol on the night of September 18.

RELATED: Ian Cranston’s murder trial begins in the death of Barry Washington Jr.

RELATED: Ian Cranston’s fiancé testifies on day two of murder trial

Smith said he had three or four drinks the night in question, but didn’t bring his concealed baggage, because he “doesn’t mix guns and booze.”

He said he wasn’t sure if Cranston brought his gun, but the defense pointed out that during the initial interview Smith had with police, he said he knew Cranston had a gun. fire.

Smith said he first noticed Washington when they were inside The Capitol nightclub, due to “his size.”

When Washington later approached the group on the sidewalk, Smith testified that he approached Butler first, saying she was gorgeous and complimenting her.

“It was a verbal exchange that ended up escalating,” Smith said.

He said Cranston told Washington to move on, and when he didn’t, the situation escalated into a lot of shouting. Smith said Cranston told Washington to “go away” more than 20 times during the incident, and Smith believed Washington was intoxicated.

Smith remembered Washington smiling after punching Cranston in the face, and he began flashing gang signs.

Smith then insulted Washington and Washington then punched Smith. Smith said he heard a gunshot at the time, but he didn’t realize at first what he was hearing.

The prosecution asked Smith if Washington had ever threatened to kill him or anyone else in the group, or indicated he had a weapon. Smith said no.

He said he was not afraid for his life, but feared that Washington would “severely hurt him physically.”

The prosecution questioned why Smith chose to continue engaging in the altercation, rather than walk away or call the police.

“At that point, I didn’t want to turn my back on Barry,” Smith said.

Detective Camille Christensen also spoke, as one of the Bend Police Duty Detectives who responded to the shooting.

She testified that Cranston’s blood alcohol test came back with a result of 0.04.

Christensen said Cranston took him to hospital for medical evaluation due to his injuries, and he complained of a headache, blurring in one eye and nausea about it. that had happened.

Photos of Cranston’s injuries were shown to the jury.

Christensen said when she informed Cranston that Washington had died, “he sort of collapsed on his shoulders and kind of threw his head back and looked upset.”

She said there was no evidence that Cranston suffered any head trauma outside of the external injuries he sustained (a split eyelid and eyebrow).

The jury also heard from Sgt. Eric Hagan with Bend PD, who drove Cranston to the hospital with Christensen. The jury watched body camera footage of their conversation in the car in which Hagan and Cranston exchanged small talk about hunting, firearms and Cranston’s background and workplace.

A Bend Police Department crime scene investigator also spoke about his on-scene investigation after the shooting, where he recovered a casing, basketball shoes, clothing, a pair of jeans, a hat basketball shoes, an iPhone, money and blood samples. He checked a variety of photos taken at the scene.


Comments are closed.